Friday, April 1, 2016

First Impressions

First impressions can be hard, especially when it's important to make a good one. Today I was asked what impressions do I want to send to a potential future employer, and this is what I came up with:

I want to come across as a positive person. I want to seem happy and eager about whatever the topic of conversation is. I want to show my multi-dimensional personality, and I also want to seem like I would be fun to work with. I want to come across as responsible and easy to talk to. I want to be creative and intelligent. I want to seem hard working and motivated. These are the things I want.

In reality, I worry that I come across as awkward. They might think I'm unsocial, or unintelligent. They might think that I stumble over words because I don't have direction in the conversation. They might think that I'm too weak to take on a job, or I don't have the strength to be in control. They might think that I lack passion and creativity, and that I'm all about work and have no interesting personality traits. They might think that I talk about myself too much, and of course they wouldn't want to hire someone like that.

When I make my LinkedIn account, I hope to prove all those negative statements wrong, and enforce the positive ones. I'm not my insecurities, and I hope to convey that through this new account.

No comments:

Post a Comment